Last night, there were some matches played in the international scene. These matches were World Cup qualifications matches, and there were some pleasant surprises. Some of the biggest names in world football were present, though the people you would have expected to win failed to do so. Here are some of those matches from the World Cup qualifications:
- Portugal 0-2 Switzerland: The Euro champions got a rude awakening, courtesy of Switzerland. Portugal greatly missed the presence of Cristiano Ronaldo. The Swiss side made them pay for not playing like they did at the Euros. Granit Xhaka got sent off, and this ruined a good night for the Switzerland team. They held on to their two-goal lead, anyway.
- France 0-0 Belarus: Les Bleus hit a roadblock in their quest for World Cup qualification, with a disciplined defensive display from Belarus proving too much for them. Paul Pogba, Antoine Griezmann and Olivier Giroud were all present, and yet it did nothing to break down the stubborn Belorussian defense. It looks like they need Benzema after all, doesn’t it?
- Netherlands 1-1 Sweden: The Dutch are still not yet up to scratch following their failure to qualify for Euro 2016 in France. Their slump in form continues. They played out a drab 1-1 draw with a Sweden side visibly lacking a certain Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who has retired from international football.
- Belgium 3-0 Cyprus: The Red Devils are looking really good under new coach Roberto Martinez. They had a really good game yesterday. Everton striker Romelu Lukaku scored twice, and Yannick Carrasco added the finishing touches to a dominant display from Belgium. They still have a long way to go, but this was a good start.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina 5-0 Estonia: I’m glad to see that this team is not falling behind in the football world; Bosnia and Herzegovina are cruising right now. Edin Dzeko shows that he is still very much in the game, as he got a goal. Also, Emir Spahic had two goals.