Till today, the upwardly mobile Nigerian woman is constantly expected to dumb down herself and everything around her so guys don’t feel emasculated. Rules are often made for her about how to live and act, where to go, and what to do. Here are five of them:
- Don’t date too many guys or else men will not want to marry you.
- Don’t ask for a raise because your boss might think you’re too greedy.
- Don’t travel to nice places because guys will assume you have a sponsor.
- Don’t live in a nice apartment or drive a nice car because you would surely scare away the good men.
- Don’t act too smart or guys would think you’re an oversabi (a know-it-all).
Wow! In other words, women are told to limit themselves and not dare to live.
Here is the One rule every Nigerian woman should live by:
Feel free to be the best you. Live well. Achieve. Do what makes you happy. Flourish. Blossom. Be all that you can be.
This post was inspired by the tweets of Madame Koi Koi. We think she’s a cool person, so do follow her!